Monday, September 16, 2013

Utopia - A dream

Award Winning Post
I am Explorer - Runner-up!


Prologue: Year 1034 AE (AE - After the End, roughly 5047 AD based on old reckoning): 
Science and mankind were able to cross all barriers and technological development reached its zenith. But along with development also came more and more weapons of mass destruction. The 4th World War almost completely obliterated mankind. Earth which had earlier lost its atmosphere(from the 3rd World War) also lost its entire Lithosphere and a substantial part of its Asthenosphere. Most of us remaining survivors stay in  isolated pockets of habitable environments made artificially deep inside of the Earth's surface surviving on synthetic supplements. We realised that Earth won't be able to last much longer and 15 space expeditions were sent to look for Earth-like planets.

None returned!!!


First sighting 
I am Derek and I am part of the 25 member crew who started on the 16th space expedition 25 years earlier. We have been looking at various solar systems in the Milky Way; one by one selecting planets which had earlier been suspected of having earth-like environment. But so many time we have had our hopes crushed that we are now only driven by habits. This time we are nearing Amadeus XIV, the Sixth planet in Sirius B solar system from which an Earth-like atmosphere has been detected. Our spaceship has total 25 occupants including all crew and technicians. We have been chosen from various fields so that we can be completely self sufficient. 25 occupants also comprise of 5 women who are essential for propagating human life and are now a days one of the most rare commodities on earth. I am the Group's Material scientist and also double up as part of the security team. Although being a scientist makes me irreplaceable; the power and command structure has always been dominated by the the Security chiefs. Hence summoned by the Flight commander I move towards the Main Control Room. The Commander informs us all that Amadeus XIV is now within viewing distance and all should line up on the viewing platform except for the scientists who should get to work immediately on analysing the various Atmospheric and Elemental data from the planet. Most of us have now repeated this drill numerous times without any positive result and don't have much hope about this one too. We work out of habit as the scopes and detectors of our Space Vehicle are focused on the planet expecting to hear the same old message of LIFE SUSTAINABILITY 0 % to pop up. It took 20 minutes this time which was abnormally longer for such kind of analysis and suddenly the screen lights up with the visual of Amadeus XIV and a bold Green sign shown LIFE SUSTAINABILITY 100 %. We are all shocked to inactivity for one full minute and then all hell breaks loose. Everyone is shouting  and clapping out of excitement. The atmospheric composition is almost identical to that of earth so I check the results from the spectroscopic analysis of the planet structure. After running through the data through various elemental analysis algorithms, what I find completely blows my mind. I saw that although the primary structure of the elements were different from Earth but their physical and chemical properties were eerily similar. I turn my head towards my colleagues and share my ideas with the others. Then in unison we all turn towards the Commander and say to him the magic words:

Yes, Amadeus XIV can sustain human life!!!

The landing
There is complete chaos everywhere; we have already crossed through the thick atmosphere of Amadeus XIV and are now descending fast towards the land surface. We have a flawless landing and on the commander's order line up to move out. The air composition seems similar to earth but the Commander doesn't want to take chances and choses one of his security personas guinea pig for going out first.We watch with rapt attention as the soldier moves out and after a few faltering steps looks towards us and gives the ok signal. It surprised and happy he got used to the atmosphere so fast which meant the atmosphere was not rejecting our bodies meaning we could move around freely without the need of space suits. Suddenly we hear click of guns and shouts commanding us to kneel down with hands raised. While we were unaware it seems a group of local inahbitants infiltrated our ship through the emergency back door. I find it surprising how easily our attackers could find the hidden back door. But we are surrounded and  do what we are told. The faces of these attackers are humane which is even more surprising. The leader names himself Han. His face for some reason looks extremely familiar to me. We are instructed  to walk out side and follow their lead. Our commander shouts defiance and asks the leader of the group about who they were and where they were taking us. The leader calmly turns towards him and with a smile say:

Welcome to Utopia !!!

The Society
What was the most astonishing in the behaviour of the captors was their deference to the five women in our group. The polite way in which they talked with them and the kind/respectful way they handled them was shocking to most of us. These were behavior similar to the myths and legends of old days on earth which our commanders scoffed as uncivilized behavior. On earth as technology grew the society had become more and more patriarchal or male dominated. The feminist movements were all crushed and women were secluded only for breeding and satisfying the needs of the high commanders of the society. There were a few exceptions who treated women with kindness, but those were shunned and punished as heretics. While I had been thinking along these lines we had reached what looked from afar as a village. When we neared the village I realised there was no boundary and no walls anywhere. All houses were single storey buildings and had beautiful gardens filled with flowers and lands planted with crops. As we moved into the village we saw little children playing around everywhere. there was no fear in their eyes and everybody looked completely content and happy. What was even more shocking were the number of women visible everywhere. Their number were at least equal if not more then the men and surprisingly even the men seemed to take orders from women in certain cases. We crossed many such outlandish scenes and finally neared a huge dome shaped building placed at what I was guessing at the centre of the building. As soon as we entered the women were taken into the dome and and the men were led to an area separated from the main dome. Our captors led us to massive bathing units which was surprisingly similar to what we had only read and saw in old Earth videos. There we were roughly scrubbed up and washed until all the grime and dirt from our bodies were removed. I felt almost raw after this treatment as bathing wwhile wasting so much precious water was simply sacriledge for us from Earth. This entire process took almost 3-4 hours and then we were forced into white dresses made of cotton type materials. From an door at the side I saw their leader Han enter again and announce:

The Elders are ready to see you!!


The Utopia - A dream fulfilled
One by one we were taken away by Han taking 20 minutes for each. We were being taken into the dome through a side door separate from where the women were taken in and none of the guys leaving returned which was making me extremely afraid. my turn came and Han led me into the dome. I entered into a huge room flanked by an array of doors on either side . He took me through one such door on the right which led to another hallway with numerous doors. This sequence was repeated so many times that began to wonder how any one could remember anything in this maze of rooms. Just when I was able to ask Han how long he led me into a massive room which was of so magnificient height that it could only have been directly below the dome. In the centre of the room was a massive circle with 10 huge pillars rising looking towards the centre. On these pillars were 10 thrones on which sat 10 oldest people I had ever seen - 5 women and 5 men. I was instructed to stand in the centre among them. All of the elders were looking towards me in a kind way. One of them asked how Berek was. I was completely taken aback at this question. How could he know about my great-grandfather. He noticed my surprise and apologised and introduced himself as Hador. and that Han whom I just met was from his family. I couldn't believe what I was hearing Hador was a colleague of my great-grandfather who was a legendary scientist and I had only seen his pictures as Decorated members of the 15th Mission send From Earth similar to ours about 200 years earlier. If he was still alive now that would make him roughly 230-250 years old. This also explained why Han looked vaguely familiar to me as he was almost an identical copy to Hador. He started smiling at my baffled expression and explained all the inhabitants I saw on this planet were from the various space expeditions send from Earth since the past 2000 years. I ask why then none of them returned or contacted back to Earth their motherland. To this he answered that they didn't want Amadeus to become another Earth ; once so green so beautiful and completed destroyed by selfish mankind. He told how some among the earliest explorers realised this and revolting against their military commanders built a society which was a beautiful union of scientific advancements without harming the natural balance. The believed how the patriarchal society on earth was failing because of the destruction of balance between male and female and hence built a society where Man and Woman have equal rights equal rights. They explained how violence is completely deplored and all conflicts are resolved by democratically chosen elders peacefully. After explaining the various details of the society he brought the topic back to that of judgements  and with it the mood inside the hall changed completely. With an expression which was at the same time sad and grave Hador pronounced my sentence.

'' Derek, scientist from Earth your nature has been observed and your sensible personality and scientific know how counts in your favor. However on the topic of your social behavior you fail. Earth has degraded the lives of the women who are the very genesis of life to such a deplorable ratio now that only 5 women could be afforded on this mission!!! It is a shame on us all humans. from the 5 women who accompanied you we have come to know that although you were never personally cruel to them like the majority of others with you; you also never even once stood up for their rights. You always thought to follow the safer options and allowed all atrocities happenning around you.

Because of this crime you are sentenced to a peaceful death for 100 years!!! ''

The Sentence
Immediately after the sentence I was taken to an isolated government facilities. While passing through the various cell doors I realised a lot of agonising screams coming out of some of the cells. I could especially hear hair-raising screams of our Commander. I was so shocked and confused with the verdict that I had gone completely numb. I was thankfully being taken to a separate facility and while passing through the various buildings I caught a small glimpse of a courtyard where all 16 expedition Space Ships were placed. I was taken into a room which smelled like restorative chemicals. There Han un-cuffed me and asked me to lay down. A few doctors started strapping me up to various intravenous fluids. My body started going numb. All that was left were my senses. Then Han walked to me and looking at my confused and fearful face explained my sentence to me. My crime was not standing for our women but I didn't commit those crimes hence I was forced to lay in a comatose sleep where I would be alive but with only my mental capacity intact. After completing 100 years I would rejoin the community. Human life was treasured on Utopia adn death penalty was seldom given. He further said people who committed atrocities like our commander were subjected to 100 years of unimaginable pain.  Even he would be kept alive in spite of the pain and could rejoin if he regretted his actions. I realise this was the secret behind Hador's long age. I thank Han again for this favor and tell him I regret my mistakes and am ready for my punishment. On Han's commands a final fluid flow is activated and my body is placed into a cocoon completely filled with cryogenic fluid mixed with restorative/preservative fluid and I am shelved into a huge room filled with hundreds of cocoons same as mine.

As the fluid starts taking effect all my senses stops one by one and as I plunge into 100 years of nothingness I finally realise that after a long time I am really at peace. Inspite of the paralyzed state a tear forms in my eyes which immediately freezes into a drop of dew. This single tear signified the happiness of knowing there is still a future for mankind; the fall of which would herald a new beginning for me 100 years from now!!



PS: This Article has been written for blog competition hosted by TATA Safari ( www.tatasafari.com/)

Image Sources: 
Prologue- http://www.eso.org/public/images/eso9845d/
First Sighting-http://www.hdwallpaperstop.com/space-wallpapers-hd/
The Society- http://wallfive.com/beautiful-village-wallpaper.html
The Utopia- http://hd4desktop.com/20972-spaceship-earth-planet-landing-zone-stormy-clouds-fantasy-artwork-hd-wallpaper/
The Sentence- http://www.wattpad.com/2616500-love-again#.UjsWHJyAouM

9 comments:

DeodattaJ said...

Aptly put. With incrementally growing apathy towards fellow-beings, along with the amassed knowledge and the scientific advancements, the day won't be far when we witness the 3rd, 4th or the 10th World War. When it does happen, the Earth will be rendered virtually lifeless. Mankind needs to start afresh; the next giant leap for mankind.

Frozen Dews of Time said...

Exactly ma feeling DJ. :(

Uma Anandane said...

Written like a mini space movie. All the best for the contest!

Frozen Dews of Time said...

Thank you Uma! Best of luck to you too !

Bhavana Lalwani said...

Hi, haven't read the entire post yet bt the start up is veryyy impressive tht I must hv to admit .. vry much realistic. soon will read the whole story n return wid my views. and plzz remove this word verification process for commenting..sometyms it bugs a lot. :)

Frozen Dews of Time said...

Thank you Bhavana. I had forgot to Switch off a default settiong which was resulting in this word verification process.. that is fixed.. Thank you for the great complements .. please do come back and read other posts in my blog. :)

Bhavana Lalwani said...

hi, I read it .. and let me be honest..the start up and till u landed up on the planet, it was just like a space fantasy.. perfect kinda .. bt suddenly the inhabitants entered in the scene and captured u n thn all the story .. ok the theme and message is really good, bt this mix up .. I think, it is somewhat mismatch kind of thing. I loved the climax of frozen tears .. all the very best.

Anita Sabat said...

Dibyaranjan, I like the concept of AE!
Your Post is like a sci-fi movie. I was imagining the scenes!
All the best! :)

Frozen Dews of Time said...

I had to be a bit abrupt as I didn't want to make the write-up too long. So have tried give the story with short flashes through the events. Maybe I will write a more detailed version later on this topic.

Thank you for the encouragements Bhavana and Anita and all the best to you too. :)

Predicted XI India Vs South Africa 1st test

Mayank Agarwal K L Rahul Cheteshwar Pujara Virat Kohli Shreyas Iyer Rishabh Pant Shardul Thakur Ravichandran Ashwin Mohammad Shami Jaspreet ...